To expand our services, Green River Asset Building Coalition needs volunteers to serve as site greeters, screeners, tax preparers, quality reviewers, and site coordinators. We invite you to become a volunteer.
We will provide tax law and E-file software training, administrative support and rewarding volunteer experiences.
Your services during the tax season can make a real difference in the lives of working low- and moderate-income families in your community. Our volunteer tax preparers helped families claim EITC refunds, averaging $1,700, that can be used to pay down debt, finance transportation to work, open a savings account that builds personal wealth, buy clothes for children, and pay tuition at our local colleges.
Certified greeter or screener
- Provide administrative support to the tax sites and coordinators.
- Establish and maintain organized lines and service.
- Ensure taxpayers have the necessary information required to complete their tax returns.
- Determine certification level required to prepare each tax return.
Certified tax preparer, quality reviewer or site coordinator
- Prepare tax returns for taxpayers who qualify for VITA assistance.
- Answer basic taxpayer questions and refers taxpayers for additional assistance as necessary to federal and state agencies.
- Inform clients about other services available through the GRABC and its partners.
- Open & friendly interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- A willingness to make a difference and a desire to help others.
- Tax Preparers need basic computer skills.
Certified Volunteer Expectations
- Complete classroom and online training sessions required for the desired volunteer role (Average 16 hours)
- Study & Learn how to use the appropriate IRS resources, publications, forms, etc.
- Train with and Learn the TaxSlayer computerized tax software.
- Pass the computerized, un-timed, open-book IRS exam(s) required for the desired volunteer role.
Required Classroom and Online Training Sessions
- Standards of Conduct (All Volunteers)
- Intake / Interview (All Volunteers)
- Basic Tax Law (Screeners, Basic Tax Preparers)
- Advanced Tax Law (Advanced Tax Preparers, Quality Reviewers, Site Coordinators)
- Site Coordinator (Site Coordinators)
- Optional Courses – HSA (Tax Preparers, Quality Reviewers, Site Coordinators)